How To Be Stylish & Comfortable In Your Shoes

How To Be Stylish & Comfortable In Your Shoes
September 21, 2018 Ryan Robinson
Stylish and comfortable shoes from Walking Mobility Clinic in Ontario

When it comes to looking great, shoes can really make or break an outfit. Contrary to popular opinion, looking good doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice proper orthotic support and comfort.

At Walking Mobility Clinics, we believe it’s possible to find a great-looking pair of shoes that keeps you comfortable and supported all day. To do so, there are a few things you should consider to find the right balance between stylish and comfortable footwear:

Wear Orthotics With Stylish Shoes

One of the easiest ways to stay comfortable while wearing a good-looking pair of shoes is to wear them with orthotics. If you have a pair of custom orthotics, you can move them from shoe to shoe to keep your feet supported and healthy.

You may also want to consider purchasing a pair of custom orthotics specifically for your dress shoes, for example, for a pair of heels that you wear to work. Orthotics work best when they’re designed with your foot and your shoes in mind.

Finding A Comfortable & Stylish Shoe

When it comes to finding a pair of shoes that’s comfortable and stylish, there are a few things you should keep in mind, depending on the type of shoes.

Heels

  • Find a heel with a flexible sole
  • Consider wedges for more support and even weight distribution
  • Avoid stilettos or other super-high heels
  • Avoid synthetics; opt instead for shoes made of leather, suede or fabric uppers
  • Look for false fronts, which will prevent your toes from being squished

Flat Shoes & Boots

  • Look for a shoe that doesn’t bend easily when you twist it; too much bend means little support
  • If you have high arches, look for a slight heel
  • Look for shoes with leather or rubber soles for shock absorption
  • Try more rounded toes that allow your feet to move
  • Make sure the back fits snugly to your heel to prevent slippage or cuts

Sandals

  • Look for a stable sandal that’s well-balanced
  • Find sandals with some shape to them to support your arch and heel shape
  • Stay away from anything with too little strapping to  prevent pain in the balls of your feet, i.e. flip flops or a single strap across the ball of the foot
  • Only wear leather or suede-lined straps

Follow The 80/20 Rule

At Walking Mobility Clinic, we understand that there will always be certain times in your life that require sacrificing comfort for style. You don’t always need to wear a supportive shoe to a wedding or a day at the beach, for example. In the big picture, how much time will you spend in those uncomfortable shoes at that wedding or event? If your feet feel better most of the time, you may be able to get away with shoes that are not ideal without too much trouble.

For this reason, it’s important to keep the 80/20 rule in mind. About 80 percent of the time, make sure you’re wearing a comfortable, supportive shoe with a custom orthotic. For the other 20 percent, you can wear what you want!

Sticking to this rule will help your feet stay comfortable and prevent long-term injuries or foot problems.

At Walking Mobility Clinics locations across Ontario, our certified pedorthists can help you find the best shoe and orthotic combination for you. Whether you have an underlying health issue, knee problems or foot pain, we can help you live and walk comfortably again.

Book an appointment today at the Walking Mobility Clinics location nearest you.

3 Comments

  1. white shoes 2 months ago

    good blog

  2. white shoes 2 months ago

    good blog keep it up and we will again visit to your blog

  3. Verna Bloom 1 month ago

    I think flat shoes and boots will be the best choice and make you feel more comfortable.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*